Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ten Simple Things

Here at the Olmstead's Homestead, I am always trying to think of ways to simplify. Today I made myself think of ten simple things I enjoy. I know there are more than ten, but these are the ones that came to mind, and in no particular order.

Watching chickens run. It always makes me smile.

Training pea plants to vine up a trellis. I did this today, and it's almost like helping a baby to stand.

Watering the garden. This is usually my Zen time.

Dirt under my fingernails. It makes me feel like I have acomplished something.

Not driving the Suburban for more than two days. I think the longest it has sat in the driveway was four days. I really try to make all our trips count.

Deciding to turn the TV off. This was one of the best decisions Sam & I have ever made. So much creativity has evolved out of time that otherwise could have been spent watching it. This is not to say that we do not enjoy a movie from Netflix now and again.

Deciding to Homeschool. This decision will lead to the simple pleasure of having quiet mornings. No rushing to get everyone ready to get someone to school.

Reading to the kids. Need I say more?

Home cooked meals. NOTHING tastes better than something you make yourself.

Baking bread. This goes along with home cooking, I know, but I had to put it by itself because what is better than a slicing open a hot loaf of bread and slathering it with butter?

Simple things. Simple pleasures. All part of the daily rythyms of our house. Our home. Where we are comfortable. Where we love, laugh, and simply be.

No comments: