Friday, October 30, 2009

Jewels in a Basket

I was thinking about the eggs that our chickens lay each day, and then I pulled them out of the refrigerator to look at them. They are really beautiful. Each one is different, each hen does not lay the same egg twice. Sometimes they are slightly spotted or bumpy, sometimes they are perfectly smooth and uniform in color. They are also precious, life sustaining, nourishment for our bodies. Chickens and cows are probably the two most useful farm animals to keep, as they provide sustenance on a daily basis, and they also can be eaten themselves. But, unlike a cow, chickens are easy to keep. They don't require alot of special care, they do not need to be milked twice a day, and they don't need alot of room. They provide us with entertainment (have you ever seen a chicken run?). I am also waiting for their manure to fully compost so I can start using it in the garden. I hope to always be able to keep chickens. I hope to bring in a few jewels in a basket for the rest of my days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like your blogs, you should look into writing articles or a column somewhere...perhaps, vermont ;)

I'd like more chickens too, but I think Tracy is a no vote unless they stay in a pen