Monday, October 19, 2009

An October Day at Our House

Today was a pretty productive Monday. I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast this morning, and after that I started the laundry. The dishes had gotten away from me last night, and I could not face them this morning either, so I got the kids dressed and we started school. Tristan did his reading lesson, with lots of moaning and groaning. This makes my heart sad because he loves to be read to and loves to sit down and look through books, and I am such a bookworm, I hope, hope, hope it is just a five year old phase that he will grow out of. Next was his math lesson, which he really likes. There are lots of manipulatives that came with the curriculum and he always wants to make up stories after the lesson using them. Finally he did his handwriting for the day, which he is always happy to do as well. Then it was Piper's turn to learn her letter of the day, which was "M". After our lessons I switched the laundry and we all headed to the backyard. The kids played and intermittenly helped me plant our winter crop of veggies. Broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, arugala, cabbage, cilantro were all started today. I am grateful to the Southern California weather for this reason and this reason only: I can garden all year long and get lots and lots of practice. Otherwise I would be looking forward to the cold winter setting in right now. After lunch, which was peanut butter and honey sandwiches for the kids and leftover pasta for Sam and I, I headed to Trader Joe's for the weeks groceries. Then home for dinner which was my made up creation of some sort of cheesy chicken chili. I tend to make up a lot of stuff for dinner with whatever we had. Anyway, this one was really yummy, and for desert...apple pie. Now it is evening and I must head back and finish my laundry.

No comments: